Monday, January 2, 2012

Not A New Year Resolution

Let's be clear. This is not a New Year resolution post. It might have some in common, ok, a LOT in common with one. But it isn't one. It's clever that way, and that's why it's going to work. I'm going to sneak up on those life changes and they'll never see it coming. Shhhhh!

I guess what I'm trying to say I don't want to make changes just because 2012 happens to be at the top of the calendar now. I don't see a lot of value in evaluating your life once a year then trying to fix all the things you've discovered you've neglected. I think that's maybe the only value in this resolution business that happens at the end of every year. Self reflection and discovery.You can't help but reflect on your previous year. What did you enjoy? Who was important to in your life? What were your achievements? What were your disappointments? If you're lucky you'll come to the conclusion that yes, changes need to be made, but through out your life. Not just because of some annual obligation, but because it would make your life better.

So what are my resolutions changes that I plan on making? It's funny how the holidays seem to highlight the holes in your life. I came to realize that I really needed to make some really obvious adjustments to life and my approach to life in general. I had, like many people I'm sure, been living very unconsciously. This is not a very rewarding way to live your life. Firstly you're not really actively enjoying what you do have, and secondly you're not aware of what you need to change so that you can enjoy it more. So I guess number one on my list is to be more conscious of my day to day and my place in it. I want to see what needs to be done and do it. This includes the typical get in shape and stay healthy business. Frankly I think that should have a permanent spot on everyone's list. It also includes taking time to do things I enjoy, like writing. I plan on doing a lot of it because I like it and it's free. I want to get organized around the house. I like being organized. I most of all want to show my girls more of the awe and splendor the world has to offer. The world seems a lot less shiny the older you get, I want them to have some magical moments in their youth that can buoy them through those tough times. I want to be more positive everyday.

For everyone else, here are some resolutions changes for you. Give people room and support to make those changes in their lives that they need to. It's important to them. Don't let them give up too easily. If it were easy they wouldn't turn into the next years resolutions every year. Everyone is sick of making resolutions! Let's make changes instead.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I'm with you and I LOVE the idea of giving people room to do what they need to do. Seems like it should be obvious, doesn't it? Good luck with your changes!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Leave your two cents. We do backflips for comments.