Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Life is Like a Zebra

Something occurred to me the other day. Life is like a zebra. Now that sounds kind of cryptic, and it is, so I'll explain. We all have good days and bad days. Sometimes we might want to rename those "bad" days "challenging" days, because a part of us is totally aware it could be a lot worse. However, while we're in the thick of that can be hard to acknowledge. Whatever the case, those moments in time pass, as many have before, and we have a "good" day. With a certain amount of reflection we realize that we were able to get through the rough spots and they weren't all consuming as previously felt. We overcame and triumphed! Those "good" days, or perhaps even moments, are little islands of positivity. I love my home. I love my perfect kids. I love my life. We are at peace with our lives and our place in them. That's where the zebra comes in.

Depending on your perspective you can see a zebra as a white horse with black stripes, or a black horse with white stripes. How you choose to see the zebra has everything to do with your perspective. Neither is right nor wrong, but illustrates how perspective influences your experience of the same thing. Do you see white stripes or black? Good days come and go, and so do the bad ones. Which stripes do you see? Do you have a happy life with some bad days, or do you have an unhappy one with some good days thrown in? Choosing your perspective and what you focus on really changes how you define your life and the world around you. Do you choose to see good or choose to see bad? I think we all need to shift our focus and acknowledge that we have a much larger and more complex role in defining our own lives and happiness. The world we live in doesn't start outside ourselves, but from within.

Miss. A and I were playing with some tigers and zebras the other day. She sees a black horse with white stripes, I see a white horse with black stripes. Neither of us is wrong, just different. Maybe we can learn something from each other.

4 comments:

  1. I must be screwed up. I always thought it was a white donkey with back stripes.... lol :) I agree with and understand your point. It is all about perspective. At work we had a water fountain installed in the hallway. It has a bottle filler at the back. Ppl were complaining the auto-filler was stopping before the bottle was full so they had to do it a second time. I said "really? you're complaining about that?" Then thinking "At least we have access to fresh clean cool water. Some ppl have to walk miles to find a tiny pool of dirty water. Would they complain about having to reset their bottle 20 times to fill it?" No.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I the grand scheme of things, why would you let something so small bother you? It's a lot of effort for no positive return. Just chill, move on, and focus on the positive. You have fresh water that won't kill you! That's such a blessing.

      Delete
  2. Love this. I have a tendency to focus on random nonmattering crap and I need too keep in mind what truly matters and what I'm striving for in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a total control freak, so it's really hard to stay focused and just let things go. "We're 10 mins late leaving the house?? MY WORLD IS ENDING!!" I have to constantly take to to appreciate what I have and what is going right around me. At the end of the day I remind myself what I am thankful for before I go to sleep. That helps some. =)

      Delete

Comments? Leave your two cents. We do backflips for comments.